• Tue. Jun 28th, 2022

News Excavator

What you missed

Uganda to receive additional 2.5 million doses of Johnson&Johnson Vaccine

With a previous donation of 3,050,400 doses of Johnson and Johnson vaccines which were handed over to Uganda on Saturday last week, the government of Germany is set to hand over an additional consignment of 2,500,000 doses of the same vaccine on Thursday this week.

The second donation will bring to a total of 5,500,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines donated by Germany to Uganda. H.E Matthias Schauer, the ambassador of Germany to Uganda said, Germany has injected over 2.2billion Euros in the COVAX facility from which it will be donating 175 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines to developing countries all over the world.

Matthias Schauer (2nd left), the Germany Ambassador to Uganda handing over the first consignment of Johnson and Johnson vaccine to a Ugandan delegation led by the minister for health Jane Ruth Aceng, at Entebbe Airport on Saturday last week

He intimated that whereas 70% of the German population has been vaccinated, the remaining 30% are causing a spike in the COVID-19 cases. “Our government is considering a legal obligation to get all people vaccinated in case they have no medical reasons against this, because the health of the entire population is of higher value than personal freedoms,” stated ambassador Schauer who implored Ugandans to make proper use of the vaccines.

On the same note, Dr. Jane Ruth Aceng, the minister for health said, the ministry is pushing for amendment of the public health Act to provide for penalties of persons who breach protective measures put in place to curb the spread of diseases in times of epidemics and pandemics.

According to minister Aceng, the donation from Germany will make the 18th consignment of COVID-19 vaccines that Uganda has so far got. To date, Uganda has received a total of 17,750,590 doses of the COVID-19 vaccines to support the mass COVID-19 vaccination exercise and 6,793,643 doses of vaccines administered across the country.

The health minister further stated that 97% of the health workers and 85% of the teachers have so far been vaccinated. “Johnson and Johnson being one single dose, will be deployed in the hard-to-reach areas like Karamoja, Kalangala, Buvuma, among others so that we do not have to make two trips,” said Dr. Aceng.

The COVID-19 virus which was first detected in Uganda in 2020, has claimed 3,253 lives in the country and 97,579 people managed to recover from it. This comes at a time when Uganda has confirmed Seven cases of the new Omicron variant that causes COVID-19.

According to the ministry of health, five of these arrived from Nigeria while 2 arrived from South Africa. This was confirmed by the genomic surveillance that the ministry has been carrying out at the various points of entry and among the general population.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *